Demonstrating @ 2017 INDIANA STATE FAIR; Friday, August 4th to Sunday, August 20th
Sue SIGN up here, dear talented spinner, knitter, crocheter, felter, etc.:
Please mark your calendar to volunteer @ THE 2017 INDIANA STATE FAIR. I will send you an Entrance Ticket. I just need your name, address, email and cell phone. Although you will need to pay for your parking, usually $ 5.00. Please email or text me Thelma Goulet, ‘email@example.com’ with a subject of IN. STATE FAIR VOLUNTEER and/or text me 317-431-1675 to be put on the list or ask questions. There are more details below.
Please check the schedule (below) to see what day you might want to come. It is a lot of fun if 2 or 3 of you come together. You can contact me @thegoulet firstname.lastname@example.org, call or text me Thelma Goulet, email: email@example.com, call or text 317-431-1675) to sign-up.
I need your name, e-mail address and home mailing address to send you entrance tickets, your home and cell phone numbers please. You will also need to sign a very simple waiver for the State Fair just to protect them.
Feel free to bring a finished project on our manikin or display table, contact me, Thelma Goulet with any question. Please plan to just bring when you are there demonstrating and then take them home with you.
The 2017 Indiana State Fair ‘SWIFT’ Demonstration Booth will located inside the Home and Family Arts Building near the stage like last year.
- One entrance ticket is provided for each day of your participation and good for the whole day.
- Parking: There is, however, a daily parking fee of $5.00 to park on the Fair Grounds infield. Here is a map and further information on the fairgrounds website.
- Driving into the busy Gate #1 can be very slow. Instead, we suggest you park across 38th street by the entrance to Gate #1 and walk across the street into Gate #1. Then, walk north through the fairgrounds to the Arts Building. Alternately, you could drive to the west side of fairgrounds on the 38th street and turn North onto Winthrop Ave. Follow Winthrop to enter Gate #16. Gate #16 takes you to the infield, where you may be able to park close to our building. From the infield, you can sometimes walk across the track behind building #21 instead of walking under the tunnel.
- Of course, if you have a wheelchair sticker, you will need to drive into Gate #1 for handicap parking. That will be fairly close to our building.
- We will be located near the STAGE area on the west side of the building (far side of building fairly near the main entrance).
- There is only one daily shift, 11 am to 4 pm. Please arrive 10-15 minutes early for your shift.
- Please uncover the tables and set up your station.
- Please write your name and your county on a name tag.
- Check the note-book for any messages from the previous day. Also please sign the waiver there.
- Bring whatever fibers and special spinning tools you would like to demonstrate. Unfortunately, no tools will be provided for volunteers to use, but spinners, drop spindlers, knitters, crocheters, and felters are very welcome bring whatever tools they would like to show off their craft.
- Tables and padded chairs will be available for all demonstrators.
- There should be at least one person in the booth at all times, so please stagger your lunch or bathroom breaks.
- Some wool fiber will be available to spin and we ask that you donate your spinning to go to our weaver. Please ONLY Mary Ann Carpenter will do the weaving.
- After the shift: Close booth at 4 p.m. Cover the tables with the same table cloths. Tidy up the booth. Leave notes for next day of any problems and/or call one of us.
SWIFT Booth Schedule Indiana State Fair
FRIDAY, AUGUST 4th, through SUNDAY, AUGUST 20st, 2017.
Only one shift this year: 11am to 4pm.
Allow plenty of travel time. It can get busy at the Fair with very long lines, probably get there 30 minutes ahead of your time of 15 minutes before opening the booth. So get to the fairgrounds about 10:00 am.
————————-(Last updated 7-20-17)
Thursday, Aug. 3rd: Set up day, Thelma Goulet, Kaitlyn Smith, Mary Ann Carpenter, Patti Hodge
Friday, Aug. 4th: Mary Ann Carpenter, Thelma Goulet (Fri. or sat. depending on signups),
Saturday, Aug. 5th: Pat McMurray, Thelma Goulet (ditto), Sylvia Dyar,
Sunday, Aug. 6th: Pat McMurray, Nelly DeVault (be there @ 1pm), ——————————————————————————————————————
Monday, Aug. 7th: Donetta Waling, Thelma Goulet
Tuesday, Aug. 8th: Patti Hodge, Carol Ryder, Mary Ann Carpenter, Anita and Sabrina Richert
Wednesday, Aug. 9th: Pat McMurray, Pam Morford, Sylvia Dyar
Thursday, Aug. 10th: Mary Ann Carpenter, Thelma Goulet, Kaitlyn Smith, Renata Jackson
Friday, Aug. 11th: Mary Ann Carpenter, Pat McMurray, Mac McCrary, Diane Werblo, Anita and Sabrina Richert
Saturday, Aug. 12th: Pat McMurray, Stephanie Mowery,
Sunday, Aug. 13th: , Pat McMurray —————————————————————————————————————————
Monday, Aug. 14th: Thelma Goulet, Patti Hodge, Sue Burn
Tuesday, Aug. 15th: Mary Ann Carpenter
Wednesday, Aug. 16th: Thelma Goulet,
Thursday, Aug. 17th: Mary Ann Carpenter, Pat McMurray and Pat’s sister
Friday, Aug. 18th: Mary Ann Carpenter
Saturday, Aug. 19th: Thelma Goulet,
Sunday, Aug. 20th: Nelly DeVault, ————————————————————————————–
Monday, Aug. 21st: Tear down day, Thelma Goulet, Mary Ann Carpenter
Also something new — We have organized a SWIFT sheep to shawl team to compete on Sunday, August 20th (the last day of the fair). This is a novice group so don’t laugh too hard.